Friday 10 August 2012

Engagement Party Cake


Last Saturday was finally the day to make the cake for a bride-to-be at her engagement party (the reason for the sample cupcakes). The day was beautiful and probably the hottest day of the summer. The weather made for a great engagement party, I'd imagine but not so much for a day of baking - it was HOT in the house. 

Luckily, the cake turned out fairly decent however, the process was the worst. It was a great experience of learning to think quickly and improvise. I wasn't going to allow the cake to leave my house unless it looked presentable but I also had to remind myself that I didn't have a choice and I had to make it work as there was a specific reason as to why I was making this cake and the bride-to-be was relying on me.

I knew it would be warm so I did all of the baking the night before to keep the place cool. I can only imagine what it would have been like if I baked the cakes the same day.

The day of I literally could not keep the cake out of the fridge for more than a few minutes. My place was just too warm that the icing would soften instantly and start to droop down the cake. There was a lot of swiping and re-doing.

I also had to make two extra trips to the store to buy more ingredients as the icing just wasn't coming out right. And my hand held blender broke - again! - So now I'm onto my third in the past several months. I REALLY want a proper stand blender/mixer like the KitchenAid ones but they are sooooo expensive. 


The bride-to-be decided on the colour scheme. I wasn't too sure about the colour blocking but I think it looks quite nice after all. I think for next time I will add a bit of white colouring to the cream colour - the colour of the butter stands out a bit too much for my liking....a little on the yellow side.

The cake is a two-tiered chocolate cake with cream cheese icing. To go along with the cake, I also made a dozen cupcakes to match but I unfortunately do not have a proper photo of them.

I am very thankful to the bride-to-be to give me this opportunity - she was great! 

I do really like the outcome of the cake and this was my first two-tiered cake so I think even with that it is pretty good but I do wish I could have provider her with crisper icing and not so soft looking. But it is what it is - can't control the weather.

Hope she liked it.


 



3 comments:

  1. I am sure it tasted great and it looks great you do aswome baking. Keep up the good working and you can do what ever you want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was quite a challenge with the hot weather. The cake turned out beautifully. The bride must have been very pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Cake. I want to learn how to do those flowers.

    ReplyDelete