Sunday 19 August 2012

Ombre Cake



I've been wanting to try icing a cake using an ombre technique but I haven't had an occasion until last night when I decided that I didn't need one. So off I went to make a mess in the kitchen to create 3 different shades of purple icing.


It didn't turn out exactly as planned because the bottom colour isn't quite distinct from the middle colour but it was fun playing around with the colourings. I'm still amazed with the black colouring - I never would have thought it could be used but it really does take out the Easter colouring in icing which is great.

An issue I always have is thinking I don't need as much icing as I actually do. From now on, I am just going to make a huge batch and if I have extra I'm sure I'll be able to find a use for it (most likely freeze it for the time being). Lately I have been having to make extra along the way and that really puts a damper on the fun decorating part.

Since I was just making the cake for the heck of it I wasn't too concerned about the doming effect that was going on with the cake. Normally I flip over the top layer so the curved part is in the middle which will give you a straight top surface if you fill the instead with enough icing around the outside portion to keep it from settling down (and curving the top) but I cut each layer into two more making it a four layer cake which resulted in it still somehow curving - which I guess was fine for the purpose. I think I am going to buy one of those cake cutters that will slice off the dome that ALWAYS happens when I bake cakes and I will be able to avoid the layers from leaning if they aren't even.

Anyway....this is the result.









1 comment: