Tuesday 28 August 2012

Seven Minute Frosting

More like Fifteen Minute Frosting - but regardless, it is the BEST frosting ever. 


This was my first time making this frosting and I must say it will definitely become one of my staples. It was so easy to make, it was stiff enough to pipe and it held it's shape really well. 

Anyway who knows me knows that I don't actually like Butter Cream Icing - I'm just not a huge fan of the taste but use it because it pipes so well and other people seem to like it. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to start using this frosting more since I could literally eat it by the spoonful.

It is so glossy and smooth! Just looking at it makes me want to eat it!!


INGREDIENTS:

1/3 cup water
1 cup plus 2 tbsp granulated sugar
3 large egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 tbsp vanilla extract

The recipe also called for 1/8 tsp of salt which I omitted (I usually always omit salt - just don't need the extra sodium and it doesn't seem to make a difference to any recipe). You could follow the recipe exactly if you wish of course. 

The next time I make this frosting, I will probably add a bit more sugar. It was sweet tasting but there is a hint of the eggs so I would prefer to mask that. 

INSTRUCTIONS:
  • Whisk together all ingredients except vanilla in a large metal or glass bowl.
  • With the same bowl, create a double boiler.
  • Set bowl over a pan of barely simmering water and mix with an electric beater at low speeds.
  • Gradually increase speed to high - beating until the mixture holds stiff peaks.
  • Remove bowl from pan and continue beating until frosting is cool and fluffy.
  • Beat in vanilla.


**Getting to the stiff peaks takes some time. It will feel like it isn't going to thicken and just stay as liquid. Be patient and it will come together.

Pipe or knife the frosting onto your cupcakes or cake and you are ready to go!




2 comments: