Monday 30 April 2012

Easy Caramel!

This is the easiest recipe ever to make CARAMEL!!! I was extremely surprised at the turn out of this. I just couldn't believe that Condensed Milk could magically turn into sweet gooey caramel. I made one can with the intention to use over Cheese Cake and then I had to make another can for it because I ate it all! Actually to make myself feel better - my sister and I ate it all.



It tastes like old fashion caramel, the kind that gets wrapped around green apples or a much softer version of MacIntosh caramel - you know the candy that comes in the red and green plaid box?

Apparently this trick of turning milk into caramel is a big no no - it says so right on the can! We'll sort of...It says 'do not heat can' and that is exactly what had to be done.

INGREDIENTS: 1 can sweetened condensed milk

STEP ONE:
Remove label off can.

STEP TWO:
Place can in water on stove so that it is fully submerged.

STEP THREE:
Boil.



STEP FOUR:
For 4 hours!

You need to monitor this...not constantly, but enough so that you can check on it every 15 minutes or so to top off the water. If the can is not fully submerged at all times the pressure building in the can can cause it to pop open! (hence, the warning of do not heat).

I tried to not bother the pot too much because I was scared that it might blow up so other than adding water to the pot I pretty much just let it do its thing.

10 minutes of cooling...and then open it up to this lovely surprise!




On side note: The caramel is formed well enough before 4 hours (I did one for 3 hours and another for 4) but I just found that leaving it in for 4 hours caramelized the sugars a bit more, leaving some bits (the ones that lined the can) extra chewy - an added bit of texture. But if you are pressed for time, I must say the 3 hour can tastes excellent as well.
From experience, it's best to have a plan of use with this stuff or else the temptation of it just sitting there once it's done will get the better of you (if you're like me).

*Keep Refrigerated.

Apparently, this use to be an old trick back in the day and it makes perfect sense - it is such a decadent treat that takes minimal effort and is inexpensive. I am happy to have found out about it! I will definitely continue to make this.

No comments:

Post a Comment