Monday 7 May 2012

Chocolate Cake

Mmmmmm: Chocolate Cake!!

I have been experimenting with making my own icing - chocolate peanut butter, chocolate coconut, cream cheese, etc. I really don't like the buttery taste of Butter Cream Icing so I am trying to cover that flavour up a bit.

I actually meant to make chocolate cake with a cream cheese butter cream icing the other night but my blender finally died on me!!! It was a cheap little hand held blender that I've had for 7+ years. I knew the end was near because each time I used it it was getting that hot burnt smell...so I guess it was finally time. But.... that meant that I had to hand stir the icing and there was no way I was going to be able to get all of the little pieces of cream cheese smooth. I tried putting it into a piping bag anyways but NOPE...those darn little pieces kept clogging up the tip. I could have just knifed it on but I really wanted to try something different with it with the piping bags.

SO: The icing got packaged up into the freezer for another day once I get a new blender to beat it smooth and use it how I intended to.

I would have just stopped but I promised a certain person a cake that evening so a cake was needed.

(Just a note: I even tried straining the icing...but it was too thick - our kitchen was a disaster!)

Luckily, I did have prepared icing in the pantry so this is what I made: A complete cake out of a box and icing from a container! I bake most items from scratch, but I'm not opposed to getting a bit of help, especially when it tastes so good!





2 comments:

  1. Emhaline J. F-P11 May 2012 at 17:21

    Tasty looking cake. I like the contrast of the cake plate, against the serving plate.

    ReplyDelete